Things I wish I'd learned in High School #1

3.05.2015


I often ask myself while studying something: Why do we have to learn this? I'll never use this in real life. Now that I still have 3 months left in High School before I take my final exams, I thought to myself - How much of all the stuff I've learned am I going to use in real life? Not much, I think. I mean, it's nice to be able to calculate the odds of winning a lottery, but is it really necessary to know...? Or that the wife of Louis XIV was named Maria Théresia? There are a lot of things that I struggle with now that I'm getting older, a lot of things I wish I'd learned in high school. Nothing about how popularity isn't important or anything like that, but for example, how to do your tax declarations.


Here's my list of things I wish I'd learned in High School. *Remember, the things mentioned below are things I didn't learn in High School. Maybe you do/did, and that's great then!

1. Classes on nutrition
I find it weird that I never had any classes on nutrition in high school. A lot of my fellow classmates just eat a bag of crisps for lunch. I looked up a lot of things on a healthy life and ingredients that are good and bad for you, so I do know some things about nutrition now, but surely many other students of my age don't, and I find that really strange.

2. Cooking
And when you know all about nutrition, it's also nice to learn how to prepare a proper meal for yourself. In other words: Learning how to cook. I really don't know how to make anything other than spaghetti or an omelet. How nice would it be if I had already learned how to prepare a healthy delicious meal?

3. How to apply for a job
This is something that shocked me. I have drama classes in school, so I learned how to present myself very well. In my Dutch class, we had to do a role play in which we had to apply for a job. It shocked me that some of my other classmates didn't even shook hands when they entered the room. They just sat back on the chair and didn't make any effort to leave a good impression.

4. How to find your strengths and weaknesses
It took me a while before I found out what my strengths and weaknesses are. Many of my friends still don't know what they're good at. I find that quite sad, because how are you supposed to know what you want to do with your life if you don't even know about all of your qualities? I think this is something that a lot of students could really use some help with.

5. Financial management
How to do your tax declarations, how much money do you need to save up to buy your first house, should you borrow money from the bank or not, etc. I still have no clue on how to handle all of these things later. I have many friends who spent all of their salary on food and clubbing and don't save up any of it. Well... How are you going to pay for your driver's licence, for example? Classes on financial management is essential for people my age, I think.

Those are just 5 things I wish I'd learned in high school, but I came up with a lot more so I'll do another post about this soon!

Love,

Simone




1 comment:

  1. Yes, i must say that classes like this give you far more preparation for the real world than your traditional Math and science class. You learn a lot about a certain trade when you are at school, it will give you some skills to do the tasks at hand. The lessons you have learned are really useful and important.

    ReplyDelete

Crush on Blush.
Blog design by LabinaStudio.